Home > Chapters
Part III: Guidelines for selected antimicrobial use
3.6 Fosfomycin trometamol
- Indicated for treatment of complicated or uncomplicated urinary tract infections caused by ESBL-producing Enterobacteriaceae.
- Systematic review showed 96.8% of ESBL-producing E. coli isolates and 81.3% of ESBL-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates were susceptible to fosfomycin (159).
- Also active against enterococci and MRSA. (160–161)
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infection: 3 g sachet P.O. for 1 dose with/without food.
- Complicated urinary tract infection: 3 g sachet P.O. every 2–3 days (up to 21 days) on an empty stomach.
- Please consult clinical microbiologist or infectious disease physician for the use of fosfomycin disodium in treatment of infections other than uncomplicated cystitis.